14 November 2017

Seeing my space more clearly - Studio Redesign 2017

Yes, piles and piles of stuff - just stuff really! WOW!!!


Studio layered in stuff all around me, driving me crazy. 

Cream paint covers wood that lightens up my space like crazy good!


AFTER. All walls painted cream (3 coats by hand) Furniture painted creams and blacks.



Another angle of studio. I now have four work spaces. Painting, Stitching, Letter Writing + Jewelry, Computer Design.


Corner niche, table made vintage suitcases old legs (thanks Hubby)

Vintage bookcase is painted and holds my most favorites. 

White curtains cover doors, bookcases, desk. Lamps all cream, crystal and wood. 

Chalk board wall at end of studio holds one of each of my 101 greeting cards
from my line of Pearl Buttons World.
Simple clean natural neutrals. Simplifying my space for clear vision.

I had this idea that a new clean, white vanilla - old whites and creams studio would be the answer to my busy crazy clutter that overwhelmed me when I was in my studio creating. I would wake up and come up to my studio and immediately feel overwhelmed to the point of almost having panic attacks. Panic attacks and anxiety have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I have (I am happy to say) learned how to control them for the most part. So the feeling of having them in one of my most sacred creative places was not good. I had to dive in and fix this. So I did.

I have always had a tiny studio (for 17 years it was a 10x10' bedroom) I created like mad in that studio but, not much painting or large pieces.  We moved across the country so I sold tons of everything from that studio, creating a fresh start. Believe it or not once moved I did miss a few things I had given away. One was a giant stack of handmade papers I had collected for years. Well eventually you do forget the stuff, promise.

So we were now living in Florida (loving the ocean so very much) my studio was big for the first time in my life. It was the family room in a beautiful rental on Siesta Key. Glorious space, tons of light, doors that opened to a wrap around veranda just lovely. Only one thing was missing = our love for living in Florida. So we moved. Again, I edited my stuff, tons of stuff again donated and gone.

After 18 months we moved again across the country, this time to Galena IL. Why? I had always wanted to live in Galena. Since coming to Galena in 6th grade on the trusty yellow school bus to visit President Grants home. I was smitten with the history and the charm of main street. I grew up in a tiny river town about one hour from here, Camanche, Iowa. A town build on the Mississippi river. I grew up going on the river all of the time, I loved it. Today the river (water) is one of my most favorite things and is very healing for me. I hit college and wanted to leave small behind. I left and did not look back (too much) SURE I missed my parents lots but, I saw them quite a bit. I never pictured myself not being in a big city.

So here I am a few decades later living one hour from where I grew up. I have done so much soul searching in the past four years. I have shed layers of me. I have sold, given, gifted almost everything I owned at one time. I have started over with a rule of purchasing nothing that was not found at an antique shop, yard sale, thrift shop (except soft items like beds, puffy chairs and such).
Trying to be most mindful of what comes into our home.

My hubby is very talented and can build, make anything and for that I am most blessed. He did not even question me when I said, "I need to completely get rid of everything and start over, in order to find me again and create". He (bless his heart) jumped in and helped me.

Now that I am close to being finished. A few ceiling lights to finish. My studio redesign is almost complete. I am happy to say that we spent under $750.00 including furniture, paint, lights etc.
The most expensive piece it the large gorgeous wood Armoire that houses my printers, papers, books, financial stuff and tons of good things I use daily. I adore that you must use the keys to open the doors. I love this piece. It had to be completely taken apart (which is cool that it is meant to) My studio is the top floor of our home which was once a church built in 1838. I love the feeling in this space so very much. I feel like I am honoring the magic inside this home.

I have created four spaces to meet my needs of creating, a sewing area, writing and jewelry making, painting and other fun art stuff, computer design. I am so happy with the feeling of calm where ever I look. I am being very careful and mindful of what is hung and placed in my sight. I will continue to be careful as to what I bring into my studio.

Yes, it will get messy when I create that is just fine with me. Now however, I will be able to shut it up and stop the clutter that was swirling around and driving me crazy.

I ended up donating over 20 bags to our local thrift stores and giving several bags as gifts to friends.
I also drove around and added books to the tiny little book library drops folks have outside their homes.

My listening to what I need in my life is bringing me to more nature, more creating from the strong place I feel deeply, more spiritual strength of sharing hope, positive living and love. I have big plans for myself that include online classes (journaling, painting, stitching) a book or two, licensing projects and expanding my card line. Oh, I am also planning on traveling to teach in the new year as well. I believe that I am well on my way of feeling comfortable in my studio space. I am grateful and try to never take for granted what has brought me to this time and place.

I hope by sharing my journey you are inspired to do something big for yourself, whatever that might look like for you. Be kind, love your journey and yourself. It matters the very most.

www.kellimaykrenz.com
my website where you can see and purchase all of my 101 greeting cards.


2 comments:

  1. Really a great studio story! Loved to see the progress and the end result ! Fabulous!
    You two must not sleep !
    Enjoy your new space ! Janel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. Thanks friend. I guess we work too much. Ha. I am thrilled to have my studio feeling more like me. It was worth the editing, painting, moving and hard work in general. Love to you. Thanks for always supporting my creative life. xo

      Delete