17 September 2017

the gift of collaboration - sharing my studio with a treasured artist friend

we both adore layers, time worn looks, designing things that look vintage 

we both love textures be it with fabric, paint, papers, stitches

there is a gift in seeing with a very detailed eye the beauty that can show up

watching a piece transform and sharing the joy together

taking the forgotten old, tattered and giving it a new life
This past 4 days I shared my studio space with a dear friend and artist (who I have adored for at least 15 years) Diana D. Darden. She drove from Minneapolis to gather with me and work on designing for a big event outside of Minneapolis this October. My writings are about the gifts to opening up your space to another artist and how many wonderful moments come out of such days.

I believe there is magic to be found in the real time that sits in the studio with two people. The talk, the silence, the listening, the finding music we each love and sharing. Seeing how the other works, holds a paint brush, how they think when creating (fast in the process or slow) Timing of art is something few people can explain. Sure there are lots of quotes from really cool people about timing of art - when to know a piece is done. There is freedom, trust and pure love in sharing the experience of handing a piece of art back and forth and trusting the other person to add their energy.

I loved this process with Diana. The days were long and full of discovery and digging in our piles of time loved bits to create together. I am grateful for this time in my life. Rarely do we get to sit and create day after day with someone who we love.

My wish for others is to be brave, fearless and keep opening up your heart, your studio, your table to listen and create with others. It matters.

http://dianaddarden.com/


http://www.kellimaykrenz.com/





2 comments:

  1. I loved every single moment of creating with you...it felt like even when we took a break to do something else, have lunch, hold pearl button, we were still creating. i look forward to the next time we can do this. i am giddy happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too me too me too. i so wish that you lived here. we had great energy creating together. look forward until next time. love you. xoxo

      Delete